The health benefits of krill oil explained
What krill oil is good for
Everyone definitely wants to live a healthy life, either to see the end of a project they’re undertaking, impact the knowledge they’ve acquired to the younger generation, or just enjoy life long enough with their families. There are nutrients that the body needs in order to make this happen.
And in a perfect world, we would be able to get every nutrient the body requires for optimum function from the food we eat. But in reality, we can hardly get a fourth of the nutrients the body needs from foods.
Certain nutrients are great at providing several benefits to the body which boosts the overall health of an individual. One of such many nutrients is Omega-3 fatty acids obtained from Krill oil.
What’s krill oil?
Krill oil is obtained from a small shrimp-like crustacean called krill. Krill oil is packed full of omega 3 fatty acids including eicosapentaenoic (EPA) and docosahexaenoic (DHA). It also contains phospholipids, choline and astaxanthin. These are simply the substances that make the extract from krill extremely important and beneficial.
What are the constituents of krill oil?
Krill oil has some components and these are:
Omega-3 Fatty Acids EPA and DHA
These are the essential fatty acids that provide critical importance to most of the organs in the human body including the brain, eye, liver, kidney, and heart.
Without this, omega-3 fatty acids can’t be absorbed into the body. Phospholipids make EPA and DHA absorbable into the bloodstream to benefit cells and organs.
This is also an essential nutrient that the body needs for normal function such as the way nerve cells communicate with each other (nerve impulse) and muscle functioning. Its role in the body is actually complex. And that’s the more reason it is seen as one of the vital nutrients that’s needed for the body’s optimum functioning.
It is a natural antioxidant that prevents oxidation of krill oil. Krill oil is reddish in colour and astaxanthin is what gives that colour.
Benefits of Krill Oil
The benefits of krill oil are numerous to the human body. Here are reasons why you should consider taking krill oil supplements:
- – Krill oil helps lower cholesterol. Omega-3 contributes significantly to the reduction of lipids in the bloodstream. People with high cholesterol may sometimes see their blood test results showing lower figures. This is because krill oil acts as a natural cholesterol reducer.
- – Krill oil has a high content of antioxidants which helps to eliminate free radicals from the body. Free radicals are one of the main factors that bring about unpleasant challenges including diseases to an individual. Antioxidants strengthen the immune system to fight diseases. Krill oil has 300 times the antioxidant power of vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin E.
- – Research shows that taking the daily recommended dose of krill oil is good for reducing the pains and stiffness of joints in people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. It is, therefore, a good supplement for reducing joint pain
Check out our collection of the best supplements for joint pain
- – Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a dreadful condition that no woman wants to go through or even wish on other women. Fortunately, krill oil has been confirmed through research to reduce PMS symptoms. Taking 2 grams of krill oil supplement or capsules increases the chances of reduction in PMS symptoms
- – One of the other benefits of krill oil is that it is also good for regulating the sugar level in the blood. Several studies conducted have shown the addition of krill oil in daily diet has a positive effect on regulating and maintaining the normal sugar level of diabetics.
Krill oil side effects
Krill oil may be safe for most people. However, some people will experience mild adverse effects like stomach ache, decrease appetite, gas and in some cases, nausea.
Is krill oil safe?
Krill oil is extracted from Krill which is found in the pristine seas at the Antartica which is far from industrial areas. Since no chemical and manufacturing industries are found anywhere near the Antartica, which is where the krill used for krill oil is obtained, heavy metals and other man-made chemicals aren’t found in it.
Krills feed on small microscopic algae including plankton which gives it a reddish colour. Planktons have numerous health benefits such as detoxifying the body, improving heart and liver health, promoting cell regeneration and strengthening the immune system. As krills consume these organisms together with other algae, krills become fortified with nutrients that have uncountable health benefits.
Also because krill is at the bottom of the food chain, dioxins and industrial contaminants aren’t accumulated in it. This makes the oil extracted from krill and used in supplements safe to be consumed. Though krill oil contains omega-3s, it doesn’t have any fishy taste neither does it leave any fishy smell after you’ve taken it.
Unlike other fish oils, krill oil can be taken daily without any adverse effects. People that are unable to take fish oils can take krill oil and acquire extremely high levels of omega-3s and other important nutrients.
Should you take krill oil supplements
The benefits that can ultimately be obtained from krill oil is so vast that no single meal or balanced diet can provide you with all the required nutrients. Since the body needs these essential nutrients, there’s the need to supplement your diet with krill oil supplements.
DISCLAIMER: THIS SHOULD BE USED FOR INFORMATION AND EDUCATION PURPOSES. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO TREAT, DIAGNOSE OR PREVENT ANY DISEASE. WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO MAKE YOUR OWN HEALTH CARE DECISIONS BASED ON RESEARCH AND ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL