Shopping for the best collagen supplement
What is Collagen
Collagen is a critical component of the lower layers of the skin that is produced by fibroblast cells. It is like the cushion that supports the skin and good healthy collagen reflects in the texture and the radiance of the skin. Collagen can be found all over the body, in bones, tendons, ligaments, and the skin.
In elderly people, dermal collagen fibers become more heterogeneous, ad the dermis becomes thinner. As we age, the absolute amount of skin collagen decreases, and the skin becomes thinner whereas the relative amount of collagen does not undergo significant change. Skin exposed to excessive sunlight will show similar character but with more severe changes than normally aged skin, with less insoluble collagen than normal skin.
Types of Collagen
There are different types of collagen and there are about 6 known types that have been detected in the skin (Type 1 through Type 6). Types 1 and 3 are the most dominant types of collagen in the skin and their amounts vary with ages. Type 1 collagen can be found in the skin, tendons, capillaries and veins, bone, and organs. Type 2 collagen is the primary component of cartilage and type 3 collagen is the main component of reticular fibers.
Best Collagen Supplements
As a collagen supplement buyer, you may have wondered at some point if you need to take this supplement. Also, you probably would have wondered if this supplement works or if this brand can be trusted.
Collagen supplements come in different forms, including tablets and capsules, powders, and liquids. The body assimilates and absorbs these different forms in different ways. Some forms are absorbed more easily and rapidly than others. These different forms have their pros and cons. For example, collagen powder can be mixed with water, juices, or smoothies and may be attractive for people who may have trouble swallowing pills. Capsules on the other hand may also appeal to those who prefer pills. Collagen capsules usually come in smaller packages that can be useful for people who move around a lot whereas powdered collagen usually comes in bigger containers and maybe a bit bulky to be carried around.
- Collagen peptides or hydrolised collagen – Collagen molecules are big and they will have to be broken down by a process called hydrolysis before they can be absorbed by the body. Ingesting hydrolysed collagen or collagen peptides enables the body to absorb it to the areas it is needed the most. Collagen peptides or hydrolised collagen are essentially the same thing, meaning they have both undergone the process of hydrolysation. In addition to the bioavailability, hydrolised collagen has a lower molecular weight which makes it possible for it to dissolve in liquids easily. Collagen powder supplements on the market that does not dissolve easily in liquids may have not been hydrolised and will end up forming lumps in water or liquids.
- Collagen supplements with different collagen types – As stated above, there are different types of collagen found in the body with type 1 being the most abundant collagen in the body. As such, when shopping for the best collagen supplement, it is important to opt for one that contains type 1 collagen. Types 1 & 3 collagen have beneficial effects on the hair, skin, nails, and bones (joints).
- Product label – The best collagen supplement product should be properly labeled to show everything that is included in the product, including binders, fillers, colouring, and preservatives. Sometimes, some brands or products fail to list all the ingredients in their products. This must be known especially if you intend on using the product for months or years.
- Price or Brand – When shopping for the best collagen supplement, do not be obsessed about the price or brand name. If you opt for the cheapest brand, you are most likely paying for very cheap ingredients. On the other hand, the most expensive collagen supplement may not be the best as you may be paying for the brand name and not the actual product. You owe it to yourself to stay away from very cheap products and pay for reasonably priced products.
- Dosage or minimum daily requirement – The best collagen supplements usually have doses of about 10 to 30 milligrams per day for most people. The recommended dosage should clearly be labeled on the product and adhered to.
Click here to read about How to increase collagen production in the body
Benefits of Collagen
Some benefits of using the best collage supplements include;
- Supporting and improving joint health
- Helping reducing joint pain
- Helps reduce bone loss
- Supporting and improving healthy skin
- May support and improve healthy hair and nails
There is ample evidence to support the health benefits of collagen. When shopping for the best collagen supplement, one should consider the price or brand, dosage, label information, types of collagen, and more importantly if it is hydrolysed.
If you are interested in buying arguably the best collagen supplement in the UK click here
Visit our shop
Axe, J., 2019. The Collagen Diet.
Begoun, P. and Begoun, P., 2009. The Original Beauty Bible. Renton, Wash.: Beginning Press.
Brandt, F. and Reynoso, P., 2002. Age-Less. New York: Morrow.
Dayan, N., 2009. Skin Aging Handbook. Estados Unidos: William Andrew.
Masoro, E., 1995. Aging. New York: Published for the American Physiological Society by Oxford University Press.
Rubin, A., 2011. Vitamin D For Dummies. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.